A beautiful watercolour cut silhouette, unsigned. Within a rosewood frame with gilt slip, she is looking left whilst holding a scarf. The watercolour includes “bronzed” highlights throughout achieved by yellow ochre pigment which places this example into one of the more outstanding works from the Gallery. Otherwise uncoloured this can be linked to the HA Frith on the site through the old label au verso stating that the picture was executed by Frith on a visit to Kilmarnoch, and is of Euphemia Scott, sister of Helen G Stevenson’s grandmother on her mother’s side, done by Frith on a vist to Kilmarnock. Three members of the Frith family managed the Royal Victoria gallery (1837-c. 1854). The Mckechnie reference (p265) has an extensive entry, and there is much confusion as to which of the three were working where at any time. By comparing all the information made available by Mckechnie, and the label, this work is definitely by HA Frith.