1820 to 1900. A full range of the many items generically known as Scottish Woodware as itemised in EH & ER Pinto “Tunbridge & Scottish Souvenir Woodware”.The name Mauchlinware covers numerous decorative and souvenir woodware which was a direct rival to Tunbridgeware, and sold in many of the same outlets. The details of manufactory are lost in the generic title which is used due to the main centre of production – the town of Mauchline in Strathclyde – but the origin probably lies with Charles Stiven (1753-1820) of Laurencekirk, a box maker. It was he that used the “invisible hinge” (John Sandy’s creation), and then the boxes were decorated in penwork and paint. The wood is sycamore and the whole was heavily varnished. This origin, primarily in snuff boxes and tea caddies, died out but up to nearly 60 Scottish makers were working by 1830. The prime producer from which much of the surviving pieces originate was William & Andrew Smith of Mauchlin, from 1821 onwards. There is a huge choice of items listed, and a few more besides. If you are looking for a particular place or item then please call.